Thursday, March 06, 2008

I think feminism is a misogynist movement

It all started from “The good wife’s guide”. I saw it, laughed and sent it to my female (and some male) friends. Just for fun, I thought. But little did I know then that I was to be overwhelmed by the feedback I was about to receive.
The first response came promptly, from a colleague who blamed me for completely ignoring all the beautiful, intelligent, independent women out there and giving men (who are, of course, misogynist bastards who just wait for a thing like this to make us feel like losers and request us serving them) the opportunity to mock at us.
At first, I took it as a joke. But then, feminist emails started over flooding my inbox. And I started to wonder…

What I have noticed at young women (including myself) is that they often lack orientation. The “traditional” female role has become obsolete a long time ago and doesn’t fit the modern woman anymore. We have become carrier women, pay our own bills (figurate speaking, too), are perfectly able to take care of ourselves and don’t need any (especially male) companionship in order to feel complete. We are sexually liberated and can screw whomever we want and when we want it, because, isn’t it, we are just gorgeous.

But on the other hand, we feel the constant need to prove something. We don’t need men, so we push them away when they want to love us. We don’t need a shoulder to cry on, so we find ourselves biting our tongues when we are down and pretending that everything is always absolutely beautiful. We don’t need any help in managing our jobs, so we overload ourselves with work and spend the nights at the office.

The immediate effect of this is that we start accumulating an immense quantity of negative energy. It’s what gives birth to passive-aggressive behaviour, because we wouldn’t ever accept to be caught crying or shouting – that’s NOT what a true professional does. And then we start sliding into prejudice and patterns of thinking.

“Men should be happy that we accept them around us”, a voice said to me, “that’s the real service that we do to them.”, “How dare you suggest that we should serve our men?”, some other voice cried, “it’s what most of them want anyway!”.

Somewhere, the mad voices lost me, or I lost all sense in trying to understand them. Isn’t a relationship based on mutual trust and communication? Shouldn’t we try to balance out our needs and wishes? Shouldn’t we try to make ourselves (and the other one) happy? Why this egocentrism (from either part)? And most of all, when did our sense of humour cease to exist?

Fact is, my dears, that, the Guide is a piece of history. It describes the post-war model for a woman. Yes, taken out of context, it might sound strange for the modern woman. But let’s not take ourselves too serious, and allow some self-irony.

Or, as the chick put it: It is us, dear friends, us women, who can be anything we want. We can serve, if we want, and we can rule, if we chose to, without having to prove anything to anyone.

That, my dears, is true emancipation and the only type of liberation, and not being always on the run and in eager competition with everything and everybody.

No comments: