Friday, November 21, 2008

On vulgarity

"Well, saying that is like when Bill Clinton said that wasn't sex, as Monica Lewinsky did bla bla bla."

Bla bla?

I asked what bla bla stood for.

"Don't force me to say things that I don't want to say, it's only morning."

Ok, the answer was funny in itself, but it also raised some questions.

What keeps us of using words deemed as "dirty"?

I encountered many men (and even more women) who withheld from using certain words they considered vulgar and not appropriate for usage in a civilized discussion.

Strangely, in the course of the same discussion they talked ill about their friends, gossiped about people who didn't afford to have the lifestyle they did, covered themselves with self-sufficiency and snobbery.

And that, my dears, is some kind of vulgarity no "dirty" word can match, regardless of how harsh and uncivilized it would sound.

No comments: