On the way back from my former workplace today, I considered the question everybody wanted me to answer so eagerly: How do you like your new workplace/colleagues/business etc?
The only right answer to such a question is that there is no right answer. But still, sitting on my desk and working on a project I am dealing with almost entirely by myself, I can't help but thinking of the good and the bad a job change brings along:
And I suddenly realize that I like it here, no matter how hard it was for me at first to see it.
Here are some of the advantages of working in a small firm:
- you take on much more responsibility and are more flexible, as personnel structures are not that rigid as they are in big companies
- you are part of the decision making - that at least theoretically gives you the impression that you matter
- there's no feeling of small wheel turning in a huge machine, and not being really missed when gone, as very easy to replace (and cheap)
- more direct contact with the superiors - the ones who really know their shit
- you know all your colleagues by name and CV
- you have very much private space at the office, as above mentioned colleagues are few
- cosiness
- when having the luck of smart and enthusiastic colleagues, you are easily motivated and stride along enjoyably
I haven't noticed many disadvantages yet. One of them may be that with fewer colleagues, the risk of not getting along with them is much bigger than in a big company, as you can't help but having contact with them. As many of you know, though, my dears, that is no real problem for me, as I am seldom critical and try to take people as they are. Thus people being different from me in some way doesn't really bother me (thanx to the turtle for reminding me that, though I guess he has no idea about what great good he did for me).
HERO OF THE DAY: The turtle, for being so sincere, finally getting to know and accept himself and reminding me that I am a lovable person after all.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
finally, the "hero of the day" is back! :)
Post a Comment